Seiko Holdings Corporation expresses its basic stance on environmental issues in its official Environmental Philosophy and Environmental Policy, and has established an environmental management structure across its operating companies for this purpose. In April 2020, the Seiko Holdings Group underwent a major business restructuring. We have taken this opportunity to accelerate environmental management throughout the entire Group.
(Revised in December 2021/Established in April 1998)
The Seiko Holdings Group recognizes that the preservation of the global environment is one of the most important issues in the world today. We will constantly strive to help realize a sustainable society that will benefit everyone.
- We are committed to a wide range of environmentally responsible activities, and we will continue to make unceasing efforts to improve our environmental performance, thereby providing increased value for all our stakeholders.
- We not only comply with all relevant laws and regulations, but also go far beyond legal compliance in our efforts to reduce environmental risks and prevent pollution.
- Being acutely aware of the part we have to play in mitigating climate change, we are working hard to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Because we recognize the limits of our precious natural resources, we are increasing our efforts to reuse and recycle every resource possible.
- We are also working to preserve biodiversity, recognizing that our business activities inevitably affect surrounding ecosystems, and that we also benefit from the health and diversity of those systems.
- We rigorously ensure proper management of all chemical substances used in production as well as any that are contained in our finished products.
- We consider the environment throughout the entire life cycle of our products. We are proud that our products and services actively contribute to environmental conservation.
- Environmental responsibility starts as a management imperative, but to effectively carry out that mission requires the understanding and cooperation of every employee throughout our Group. With that in mind, we are working to raise everyone’s environmental awareness so that all of us can work together to protect and nurture our natural environment.
- Transparency is another part of our social responsibility. We are therefore promoting active disclosure of material information about our environmental activities and promoting increased communication with local, regional, and global stakeholders.
- In order to derive maximum benefits from these policies, we establish clear environmental targets and strategies to attain them. Then we steadily improve our efforts by constantly re-examining both our targets and our progress towards achieving them.
SHC established an environmental management promotion structure for the Group, managed by the Director in charge of environmental issues and under the ultimate supervision of the company President. We created an Environmental Liaison Committee consisting of representatives from each operating company, which reports on each company’s activities twice a year and exchanges information in order to improve the level of environment-related activities. In addition, the Manufacturing Subcommittee, which consists of representatives from all our manufacturing companies, shares the latest information on domestic and international laws and regulations to ensure legal compliance. Because of the importance of the environmental issues, in FY 2020 the group met as scheduled via a remote conference system, rather than cancel due to the pandemic.
Environmental Management Promotion Structure
List of ISO 14001 Certifications
The Seiko Holdings Group has obtained ISO 14001:2015 certification (an international standard for environmental management systems), mainly for its manufacturing companies in and outside Japan.
Sites in Japan (For details refer to the links for operating companies)
Sites outside Japan
|Certified operating companies||Date of certification|
|Dalian Seiko Instruments Inc.||June 2001|
|Seiko Precision (Thailand) Co.,Ltd.||January 2002|
|Seiko Instruments (Thailand) Ltd.||March 2002|
|Instruments Technology (Johor) Sdn. Bhd||October 2002|
|Guangzhou SII Watch Co., Ltd.||March 2005|
|Seiko Instruments Technology (Shanghai) Inc.||July 2012|
|Seiko Manufacturing ( H.K.) Ltd.||April 2020 *|
|Seiko Manufacturing (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.||July 2020 *|
* Due to the restructuring of the Seiko Holdings Group in April 2020, we were unable to continue our existing certification for these subsidiaries, so we obtained new certifications.
Each employee’s increased awareness and participation is essential to promote environmental activities. Seiko Instruments Inc. originally formulated its environmental education program back in 1996, and has been continuously working to raise awareness. This program is divided into three main categories—general education, special education, and training for internal qualification. The content of the program is reviewed every year, taking into account both internal needs and social trends. At the end of each course, participants are given a questionnaire to ascertain their level of understanding, which is then used to improve the education program itself. Beginning in FY 2021, the program was expanded to cover not only the Seiko Instruments Group, but also the operating companies of the entire Seiko Holdings Group. This is one more way that we are working to raise environmental awareness.
SHC periodically invites outside lecturers to hold environmental seminars. In addition, the Company strives to raise awareness by picking up relevant items from the Environmental Topics section of its intranet to help educate its employees.
In addition to these education programs organized by our head office, each of our domestic and overseas sites conducts their own innovative environmental education and awareness activities.
Examples of Initiatives
In FY 2020, although it was difficult to hold conventional training due to the COVID pandemic, we insisted on continuing the program and conducted group training using a remote system. It wasn’t ideal, but it was effective.
Seiko Manufacturing (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. conducted environmental awareness training in February 2021, in which 23 employees participated.
Internal Environmental Audit
An internal audit is extremely important to operate an effective management system. Each operating company that has obtained ISO 14001 certification conducts independent, objective internal audits. The purpose is to continuously improve the environmental management system and boost environmental performance.
The internal audits conducted at Seiko Instruments Inc. sites in Japan have introduced “mutual auditing” to enhance the effectiveness of the audits. Auditors from other sites and the head office participate in these sessions to increase their effectiveness, and at the same time, we achieve synergistic effects by exchanging information among sites. In addition, we have established internal auditor training courses to systematically train our auditors, as well as internal auditor refresher courses to continuously improve their skills.